Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My main focus this month - to Gain Weight!!

A recent visit to the clinic to get my pills sorted out had me came out of the room shocked. No, I’m not pregnant but the shock was just about the same if I was told that I’m carrying a baby.

Just before I came here, I had numerous routine check-ups with my gynae due to the surgery I had a couple of years ago. After that, I started eating a lot more and gained several kilos which eventually went up to 55kg. Then I lost about 3kg after I had another scare of Bartholin cyst. Right after that, I maintained my weight at about 52 – 55kg. When I got here, I was about 53kg.
Imagine my shock when I found out just a week ago that I now weigh at 44.8kg! Certainly, something I am not proud of! The only thing that I am happy about is my flat tummy which to be honest, is something I worked on a lot back home.

Since the nurse told me that I am underweight, I asked a few of my friends for some suggestions and PJ told me about meal replacement shakes which he takes to help him build muscles and put on weight since he’s an avid fan of weight training and gym workouts. I did a bit of research on meal replacement shakes and decided that it could probably work for me.

So last Saturday, we bought EVOX Mega Grow which consist of 38g of protein, 43g of carbs and only 4g of fat. I started the program (I like to call it a program, sounds cool ‘smile’) on Sunday and Dawie came on board on the same day. Evox meal replacement shakes or formula comes in various flavours such as vanilla/chocolate/strawberry, mocha, cookies & cream, vanilla and chocolate. I opt for chocolate for obvious reason. My first taste of this formula – I mixed it with cold milk which turned out to taste like chocolate milk with dusts in it (I didn’t mix it that well) and Dawie had his with mixed berry yoghurt (he likes to be different). Mixing it with yoghurt turned out to taste much better – it’s a bit like chocolate mousse with berries.

This morning, since cold milk and powder do not mix well unless you use a shaker or a blender, I decided to try it with hot milk – given all these choices that we have tried, I like the combination of hot milk + formula the best. This is only my second day but hopefully, I will see the result soon. I cannot wait to gain weight and as I told Dawie the other day, I am (perhaps) the only woman that is excited about gaining weight!

In the last 2 days, I have been eating a lot more than I did in the past since I got here. One thing about me that I have realised a long time ago is that when I am unhappy about something, or depressed over certain things – I don’t eat that much, if not at all. Stress is also the cause of my light eating habits. However, I have found a way to block out the unnecessary stress and insignificant people around me ‘smile’.

6 comments:

  1. That's not good, AB. Your current weight doesn't sound healthy. What's your height? You really need to eat more, sweetie. Hopefully the formula will work for you! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know :( I'm 5'6 and with my weight, I'm certainly underweight! I hope it works - thus far, I feel hungry all the time! 'smile'

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just started putting the weight on again. After all the progress I made after having vertigo aswell. I just had to go and get ill again didn't I lol.

    I'm 5'6 too and went down to nearly 40kg. It messed with my head and I felt hideous. I missed my curves so much =( And the worst thing is I had my friends accusing me of not eating and making myself sick and causing me drama by bitching behind my back (though I shall be getting my own back tomorrow for the latter tee hee) As if I wouldn't eat! I love food way too much and unless they want to claim they were blind they would have seen me eating McDonalds nearly every lunch... I'm obsessed with the Happy Meals lol

    But anyway, I'm getting much better everyday. The new medication has proved that I was infact not able to put weight on because of my illness that took 4 doctors a whole year to discover. Proved my so-called friends wrong. Idiots.

    PJ was an amazing help and continues to help everyday. I'm glad he's been able to help you too =] I should give him a gold sticker haha =D

    And obviously, you have been super supportive to me aswell =]

    elle <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotcha on the curves, hun! That's what I had too - lol, it may not be lots of flesh but I definitely looked much healthier back then.

    I am so happy that you are feeling better and putting on weight. Thank God, the doctor finally figured out what was wrong :)

    Lol - as unhealthy as McD's food are, I used to gobble them almost every other day!! On top of that I ate chocolates almost every day (one of the perks of having a SIL that works as a stewardess - free chocolates all year round!).

    I'm glad I am able to help/support in a small way :) I only do it cause you're awesome, Elle! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did mention to up the water intake too right??? Cause you know.... The human body is two thirds water. .. I'd almost suggest creatine because it makes the body absorb more water but women have this crazy idea that creatine or weight training will make them bulky, even tho its physically impossible.... You know, lack of testosterone and all(unless you're a roid head)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope but I know that water helps plus when I had the cyst removed, my gynae told me to drink lots of water so I've been doing that.

    Yeah but I'll stick to this first and see how it goes. I like it better when it's mixed with yoghurt so maybe I'll stick to that. Or swap now and then - milk + formula, yoghurt + formula every other day.

    ReplyDelete