Thursday, February 3, 2011

Just a few of My Fav Songs


Admit it, without music one spectrum of our lives would be lacklustre. Music inspires me in a lot of ways. I don’t limit myself to a certain genre, I listen to all genres but the most I listen to are R&B, classical, jazz, alternative/rock and urban. I don’t know if this happens to me alone or if anyone else out there can relate to this: every relationship of mine has their own sets of songs that tell a story of my relationship. It doesn’t just stop there; it’s the same for some parts of what went on and still going on in my life. Here are just a few out of many songs that I personally feel relate to my life or I can relate to :p
When You’re Gone – Avril Lavigne
I used to listen to this song over and over again, at the time because of the tune. When I saw the video of the song, I started to like the song even more. After my mother passed away, the lyrics started to mean something to me and I couldn’t listen to it for almost a year and it was the same for my eldest brother. Every time the song came out on the radio, I’d switch it off because just the first line would make me bawl. One scene from the video clip had an old man smelling the blouse of his dead wife and I actually caught my father doing the same a few months after my mother passed away and that really touched me.

You Give Me Something – James Morrison
This song is one of the top 10 favourite songs of all time (for me). First time I listened to this song was when I started to get to know my current boyfriend. In some ways, the lyrics said it all – he gave me something to believe in after years of being out of relationship.

Ordinary People – John Legend
I’ve always loved this song. Started listening to it again about a few weeks ago and the song says it all about my feelings on the current situation of my life especially with what happened recently and all. The words are meaningful to me.

The Only Exception – Paramore
This song resonates with my feelings for a lot of things in my life. There’s always an exception to everything around me. Situations or things that I couldn’t tolerate before, I have now begun to accept or tolerate them. I don’t see it as I’m being easy, I see it as myself growing up and seeing things in less black and white.

Shut It Down – Pitbull feat. Akon
I love this song, thanks to my best friend, MeOutch. Basically, I interpret it to say that people should live life the way they like and want to. Whatever way that is, they shouldn’t give a rat’s arse about what other people think. As it says “If you don’t like it, it’s cool, fuck you” Exactly how I feel if anyone has anything to say about my choices in life.

Months, even years from now – if I listen to these songs out of the blue, they will take me back to this very moment or the past. They will remind me of big even little things that happened in my life, the feelings I had or felt about everything that went on in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment