Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Alpha Male Syndrome

Alpha male, as most of us know, is a term used to describe any group of animals such as wolves which live, hunt and everything as closely together with a dominant leader in the group. This alpha male syndrome works for both male and female. Then there are the beta and omega males but right now I’m concentrating on alpha male as I have had a discussion on this with a friend of mine.

Within us human beings, alpha male can mean differently to the above. Most often that not, the term is used for the type of man who seems the most comfortable with the opposite sex. In essence, alpha male can date or marry any type of woman of his choice at any given time. Alpha males are known to be very attractive and have a rather accomplished position in company or soaring socioeconomic status. If this is a bit too hard to comprehend, think about the jocks or those broad-shouldered, macho men you see on telly ‘smile’.
 
I’m pretty sure you have come across alpha males in your life. In the office or even college settings, he tends to be a natural leader emanating pride and confidence. He is also one that is rather demanding and most of the time, difficult for you to work with. He is the one that is either the top executive of such and such or the one that easily goes up the corporate ladder due to his confidence and aggressiveness. Now, when it comes to social settings – when you are out and about with your bunch of friends, you can easily detect an alpha male. He’s the one that has the ability to attract the attention of any attractive woman in the club, group meetings etc. Alpha male in social settings is often judged by that ability.

Alpha male may be attractive to a lot of women due to the fact that he is desirably good looking (think Richard Gere, Jason Statham, Rob Lowe, Clive Owen, Brad Pitt etc), strong, opinionated, well-built, wealthy and many more. However, alpha male lacks the ability to interact emotionally with the opposite sex, to discuss his feelings and of course, sensitivity. Alpha male tends to think that he is better than everyone, never wrong (let alone try to admit to being wrong), can easily let go of one woman after the other (because he has the ability to get any woman he wants) and many other negative traits.

Rackermann has a bit of the traits of an alpha male such as natural leader, able to attract women (I’ve witnessed it even though he seems to be oblivious to it ‘smile’), opinionated and confident. I know he is easy to work with, I don’t doubt that. He is definitely good looking, sensitive, able to interact with anyone of any background hence able to share his emotions etc and he admits it when he is wrong. So I’m lucky in that he’s balanced because he is in between an alpha and beta male.

I’m not attracted to alpha males as I loath them – I’ve met a few in my past and I still can’t grasp how some women are attracted to them as alpha males are known to be insensitive when it comes to relationship. Honestly, I’ve been trying to comprehend why some women love alpha males and seek them whenever they are in need of male companion. Is it because these women love to be dominated and treated like… to put it mildly… crap? Boggles my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Lol alpha male syndrome is when a beta male tries to play the role of an alpha male and is usually upset or hurt when he isn't percieved that way.
    For example I used to have a friend that put on her facebook status that if the zombie apocalypse ever started she's glad to have me as a friend to protect her from zombie hordes. Clearly a joke(zombie infection not bein very probable) but her friend suffering alpha male syndrome took offence to this and insisted that despite being 5 inches shorter and weighing 15 kilos less then me with not combat experience other then on the XBOX, the fact he owned an air rifle made him the better choice of guardian.
    Basically a man who becomes angry and overy emotional at the concept of bein seen as second best in the eyes of females is usually guilty of suffering alpha male syndrome.
    If you have a male friend who is acting bitchy because he doesn't like a male friend of yours just because you're close to that friend then he suffers alpha male syndrome.

    The internet is full of alpha male syndrome sufferers because the internet gives people the opportunity to invent an internet persona in attempts to gain adoration and respect that they don't get in their everyday lives. So a lonely shut in starved of emotional interaction becomes an amateur movie script writer who has scores of unseen women chasing after him. Yet when this fantasy is questioned they become angry and vent via facebook status and accuse people of being spies.
    Alpha male syndrome is basically a condition suffered by beta males that are in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend sounds familiar ;)

    I have a few beta male friends that have alpha male syndrome. They are worst then the real alpha male, to be honest.

    When you're behind the computer, it is so much easier to be 'whoever' you want to be. That's why most beta males embody an alpha male traits behind the computer screen! I bet they read "How to Become Alpha Male" e-book every day and treat it like their bible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. XH was AM. I wish I had listened to my friends when I was dating him. Would have been more sane now if I didn't marry him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me a while to figure out what AM was (o.O). Seeing that he is an XH now, guess you're doing well. Thanks for reading, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete