A month or so ago, I overheard a conversation between two women about how annoyed they were at non-smokers (these women smoke). One said that the non-smokers should get off their high horses and that it’s a free country and smokers are allowed to do whatever and however they like. Point taken. The bitching session went on and on about non-smokers – after a while, it sounded like a bunch of bees buzzing around ‘smile’. A friend of mine asked if I hate smokers. I don’t hate them. It takes up too much of my energy to hate smokers and it’s just not worth it. However, some smokers are just as annoying (as the non-smokers – as those ladies say) and smoking is a really disgusting habit. Here are the reasons why I DISLIKE some smokers:
I can’t comprehend how some smokers can live with themselves knowing that the second hand smoke kills hundreds (thousands, even) of people every year. Wait a minute. That’s right.... they DON’T CARE. They don’t care about lung cancer (you read it right, lung CANCER and oh, yeah cervical cancer too) because the smokers are getting filtered smoke while the most dangerous smoke flows into the lungs of us, the non-smokers.
I don’t like it that some smokers puff their filth in the face of the non-smokers. I don’t enjoy it – it burns my eyes and the smokes make my hair and clothes smell bad! It’s sad that some smokers don’t notice the smell that much due to their habit of smoking for a long period of time. As a friend of mine told me before – he dated a smoker and kissing her was like kissing an ashtray. Some smokers do smell like ashtray and believe it or not, the damage that you are doing to yourselves is selfish. Then again, it isn’t like the smokers didn’t know that.What is up with some female smokers that they try so hard to look sexy and ladylike when they smoke? No matter how hard you try to look feminine whilst smoking, forget it - it’s just not. So stop trying. Smoking does not make you look sexy neither hot.
In addition to that, some smokers pollute. Have you ever looked down on a public street? Yeap, there are cigarette butts... everywhere. They can’t be bothered to throw the cigarettes in the trash can! What gets to me is that when there’s a friggin’ ashtray on the table and yet, they throw the cigarettes on the floor. WTF? “Oh it’s okay, the cleaners will sweep them off” – Yes, sure. I don’t think you’d like it if the cleaners were your daughter, son, father, mother or friends.
Oh and just leave the breath mints or chewing gum at home – no matter how many gums or mints you take, your breath still smells of cigarette.
Some smokers feel entitled to have smoke breaks every chance they get (could be every 45mins to 120mins for God knows how long!). Selfish, much? Your colleagues work as hard (seeing that you are taking smoke breaks all the time, could possibly mean you’re not that hardworking – just saying) as you do and everyone else.
I cheer for those who are trying to quit because they know better than to let themselves suffer further with the repulsive habit (and I know some are trying very hard and getting there so good for them!). However, it grinds my gears when I go out in a big group to have lunch or dinner, we are asked to accommodate one friggin’ person in the group that smokes to get a table in the smoking area. Note: You're not special. Go have lunch or dinner on your own, douchebag.
It's a free country, as they say it (so I'm free to express my thoughts on this). Go ahead, smoke all you want. It's your choice. I just don't see why others and I should have to deal with the consequences.
At the end of the day - you're killing yourself.
(In case you’re wondering, my bad habit is eating Nutella with a spoon out of the jar!) :D
*Disclaimer: Call me judgmental, but let’s face it – all of us are at some point. Just that most people are afraid to admit they are..
I am all for freedom of choice and hey, if someone wants to smoke, it's their decision - they know all the warnings and side effects. I agree with you, though, on the respect for others angle - something that bugs me a lot is that so many establishments, particularly eateries, don't enforce the rule that you're not allowed to smoke within 5 meters of a roof or overhang. Just putting tables outside doesn't mean smokers may smoke there if it's under a roof. Drives me nuts when I want to enjoy the good weather outside, but have to share my food with smoke!!
ReplyDeleteToo right, well put, and all that. I have the situation with my mom (who is a smoker) and doesn't understand why her grandkids are always sick, and why I developed asthma. Anyway, I digress. But very well put.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments, Linda and Nigel :)
ReplyDeleteI actually took time to write about this matter as I didn't want to offend anyone (smokers, really) but on second thought, none of them really think about others...
Very true about the eateries. Some smokers really don't care and it doesn't help that the restaurants just let it slide..